Has anyone else noticed that Google feeds don’t work at www.live.com? Every other RSS feed I have ever added to my live.com page works fine but in all of the Google ones I have added the links don’t work.
Now, I am not an RSS expert by any means but I have had a cursory glance at the feed contents and all seems in order. When I compared a Google one to a Digg one it looked ok. Also, if you copy the URLs from the link tags within the Google feeds and paste them into the address bar of your browser they work fine. Click on them from live.com however and you just get a blank page.
Follow these steps to recreate this and you tell me:
- Go to http://news.google.com and click on the RSS link near the top left of the page
- You now have the feed open. If you know what you are talking about in RSS terms, have a look at it and see if you can tell me what the problem is. Otherwise copy the URL from the address bar
- Now, go to http://www.live.com. If you are not already a live.com user (and you should be, Google ‘censorship’ aside it is a good service) click the ‘Get Started’ button beneath ‘Personalize your Homepage’.
- Click on ‘Add Stuff’, then ‘Advanced Options’ and then paste your Google feed URL into the middle of the three text boxes and click subscribe.
- Drag the Google News icon from your ‘My Stuff’ section down onto the page below. You should now have a list of the latest Google News entries.
- Try clicking on one of the links… Firefox – you get a new tab with a blank page in it. IE – you get a blank new window but you do get the URL in the address bar.
- Repeat the subscription operations using another RSS feed, the one to the right of this article for example. Give it a run out… Works fine.
So, you tell me. Is Microsoft censoring Google?